Monday, November 7, 2011

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Book Challenge 2012

2012 is almost upon us and that means a new year of reading challenges. Considering I've been pretty lax on completing the ones that I had signed up for this year, I was trying to be a good boy and not join as many next year. And then I saw this challenge on Sarah Says Read.

Hosted by Hanna at Booking in Heels, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Book Challenge is a year-long challenge that asks participants to read the books that each of the main characters in this film came from. Some I've already read and some I haven't, but I love a good reread so I don't mind.

I'm adding my own twist to the challenge and reading the original graphic novel by Alan Moore that the movie is (loosely) based on. I haven't read many (read: any) graphic novels other than Maus and I'd like to start.

I'll also be reviewing the film once I've finished all of the books. Here's what the challenge requires me to read:

1) King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (Allan Quartermaine)
2) Dracula by Bram Stoker (Mina Harker) [reread]
3) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (Captain Nemo)
4) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer) [reread]
5) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Dorian Gray) [1/2 reread--I couldn't finish it the first time I read it.]
6) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) [reread]
7) The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (Rodney Skinner) [sort of]*
8) The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (The Phantom) [reread]
9) The Final Problem by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (James Moriarty) 

And with my one addition:

10) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

I'm more than a little excited about this challenge, which begins on January 1, 2012. If you're interested in signing up, head over to Booking in Heels!

-Gabe

*See Hanna's post for the reason for the "sort of."

4 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! I'm definitely excited about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I finally bought this movie a few months ago even though I'd seen it about ten times before. While I've heard that it's nothing like the graphic novel, I'm excited to read it. It's about time I stop avoiding an entire genre of book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waves*

    I haven't read the graphic novel either, but it is on my TBR. There's a Volume 2 with a load of new literary references as well, so if this one goes well, I might use that for the year after's challenge. Nothing like planning the challenge for 2013 at the end of 2011 is there? :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. *waves back*

    I didn't realize there was a second volume. I'd be up for a 2013 challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete