Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week book bloggers are given a prompt and asked to answer it in the form of a top ten list. Some weeks I don't feel able to answer the prompt provided and this is one of those weeks. Instead of naming my top ten books read in 2012 (because I've barely read twenty books this year and that's a paltry number from which to choose), I'm going to answer a prompt from October.

Back on October 23rd, the Top Ten Tuesday list was "Top Ten Books to Get into the Halloween Spirit." I hadn't felt able to answer that prompt either, but had promised to make a list of Top Ten Horror Novels Gabe Should Read Before Next Halloween. I had said that I was going to go through the other Top Ten lists as well as taking suggestions in the comments.

And then I never did.

So, today, I present to you: Top Ten Horror Novels Gabe Should Read Before Next Halloween

1) The Stand by Stephen King: I picked this novel up off of the Take a Book/Leave a Book shelf at my library a while ago because I had never read a King novel and because I love post-apocalyptic fiction. 
2) We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson: I vowed to read this after finishing (and loving) Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House but never did. 
3) Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Linqvist: Kayleigh of Nylon Admiral recommended this to me as well as a few other books. I decided to go with this one because I've heard others rave about it. 
4) The Turn of the Screw by Henry James: A lot of people have told me about this book so I chose this out of all the picks from The Broke and the Bookish's own list.
5) The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson: Found this promising title through Thought Casters. I can't pass up a good Jack the Ripper tale.
6) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: Thanks to Tumbling Books for this recommendation. I had seen it on a few blog lists but I finally decided to check it out after seeing it on her list in particular.
7) Feed by Mira Grant: I like zombie books and I had been trying to remember who wrote this novel because I had wanted to read it for a while. Thanks to Life With No Plot for reminding me.
8) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: I love Bradbury so this recommendation from A Bookworm Belle is a no-brainer choice for me.
9) The Twelve by Justin Cronin: As I was putting this list together, something kept nagging at the back of my head. I realized that it was the fact that I *still* haven't read the sequel to Justin Cronin's The Passage, which I have been dying to dig into. Maybe that will be my Yule present to myself this year.
10) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: I saw this on a few blogs but it was the description of it from Ula at Blog of Erised that convinced me that this book should make the list.

And there you have it. Ten scary novels that I intend to read before Halloween of 2013. Thanks to everyone for their awesome lists. And maybe next year when Halloween rolls around again, I'll be able to actually have ten books for a top ten list. 

-Gabe

20 comments:

  1. Awesome list - I loved Let the Right One In and Feed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read numbers 2, 3, 7 and 10. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Feed on my shelf for the longest time, and I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Hopefully next year!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yоu've made some really good points there. I looked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

    My weblog :: regeneracja belki
    My webpage > citroen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I wаs cheсking continuouslу this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful information particularly the last part :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    my web site; kliknij w link www.auto-kasacja.pl

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as well as from our discussion made at this time.

    my web site - 17576

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and
    it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its aided me. Good job.

    Also visit my web-site ... Hawaii search engine optimization experts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Finally something about portly.

    Check out my webpage - 99067

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pay a visit everyday a few sites and websites to read articles,
    except this weblog presents quality based writing.


    Feel free to surf to my web-site ... free money making sites

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was more than happy to discover this web site.
    I wanted to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic
    read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff in your web site.



    Review my web blog; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtQw9OzNwY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark
    your blog and may come back at some point. I want to
    encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice
    morning!

    my web site: www.cedarfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I write a leave a response whenever I appreciate a
    post on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it is caused by the passion communicated in the
    post I looked at. And after this post "Top Ten Tuesday".
    I was actually excited enough to drop a commenta response
    ;-) I actually do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind.
    Is it simply me or does it look like a few of these comments come across like coming
    from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing
    on additional sites, I'd like to keep up with you. Could you list every one of your social sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    My website ... penny stocks newsletter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ridiculous quest there. What occurred after?

    Thanks!

    Check out my web blog cedar finance (online trading) complaints

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most what is the best way to cleanse your body or cleanse diets are
    water-based, meaning that substances placed on the outside!
    These are some things it may help to remember.

    my web-site - lose weight detox cleanse

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnificent website. Plenty of useful information here. I'm sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you in your sweat!

    Here is my weblog: Diaper Rash Home Remedies

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it
    is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may just I want to
    recommend you few attention-grabbing things or suggestions.
    Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I wish to learn even more issues approximately it!


    my web-site; diarrhea Remedies

    ReplyDelete
  17. The story takes place in Las Vegas caused some raised eyebrows.

    Not Their Parents' trade in value video gamesSo, it becomes clear that kids are not playing a particular game, the concept of virtual reality. Already there are trade in value video games that are fully cross-platform. He added: Callum decided he was going to put the" togetherness scale" on the back is left happy but may not have done the right thing. Although it's easy to see how
    the game is marked 18 and over, and they should.

    Visit my webpage - Video game sale

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many video video game players offer a lot of the
    new Origins GinZing Energy-boosting on May 3 in New York City.
    There are only a few of the monuments to name here.

    Also visit my web blog :: homepage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely blog! Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Before considering buying matchbox Used Cars Charleston Wv for your collection,
    be sure that whatever mobile dent repair work that is
    done on the leased car is covered by a warranty straight from the car lot.
    And recently citizens of Burma have been allowed to import a car from Japan, especially if
    they are not zero emission automobiles. In such cases, condensation builds up,
    and this can be vary harmful to your vehicle during transportation it will be the best other
    than having a limousine as your wedding car.

    Also visit my web-site; buffalo used cars

    ReplyDelete