Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week book bloggers are given a prompt and asked to answer it in the form of a top ten list. Some weeks I don't feel able to answer the prompt provided and this is one of those weeks. Instead of naming my top ten books read in 2012 (because I've barely read twenty books this year and that's a paltry number from which to choose), I'm going to answer a prompt from October.

Back on October 23rd, the Top Ten Tuesday list was "Top Ten Books to Get into the Halloween Spirit." I hadn't felt able to answer that prompt either, but had promised to make a list of Top Ten Horror Novels Gabe Should Read Before Next Halloween. I had said that I was going to go through the other Top Ten lists as well as taking suggestions in the comments.

And then I never did.

So, today, I present to you: Top Ten Horror Novels Gabe Should Read Before Next Halloween

1) The Stand by Stephen King: I picked this novel up off of the Take a Book/Leave a Book shelf at my library a while ago because I had never read a King novel and because I love post-apocalyptic fiction. 
2) We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Shirley Jackson: I vowed to read this after finishing (and loving) Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House but never did. 
3) Let the Right One In: A Novel by John Ajvide Linqvist: Kayleigh of Nylon Admiral recommended this to me as well as a few other books. I decided to go with this one because I've heard others rave about it. 
4) The Turn of the Screw by Henry James: A lot of people have told me about this book so I chose this out of all the picks from The Broke and the Bookish's own list.
5) The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson: Found this promising title through Thought Casters. I can't pass up a good Jack the Ripper tale.
6) Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: Thanks to Tumbling Books for this recommendation. I had seen it on a few blog lists but I finally decided to check it out after seeing it on her list in particular.
7) Feed by Mira Grant: I like zombie books and I had been trying to remember who wrote this novel because I had wanted to read it for a while. Thanks to Life With No Plot for reminding me.
8) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: I love Bradbury so this recommendation from A Bookworm Belle is a no-brainer choice for me.
9) The Twelve by Justin Cronin: As I was putting this list together, something kept nagging at the back of my head. I realized that it was the fact that I *still* haven't read the sequel to Justin Cronin's The Passage, which I have been dying to dig into. Maybe that will be my Yule present to myself this year.
10) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: I saw this on a few blogs but it was the description of it from Ula at Blog of Erised that convinced me that this book should make the list.

And there you have it. Ten scary novels that I intend to read before Halloween of 2013. Thanks to everyone for their awesome lists. And maybe next year when Halloween rolls around again, I'll be able to actually have ten books for a top ten list. 

-Gabe

4 comments:

  1. Awesome list - I loved Let the Right One In and Feed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read numbers 2, 3, 7 and 10. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Feed on my shelf for the longest time, and I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Hopefully next year!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog! Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete