Monday, March 28, 2011

Apparently I'm Not the Only One...

Normally I don't ever look at other people's reviews, especially not the ones on Amazon.com. I tend to like to form my own opinion of a book, give it a chance before I give it up as a loss. But I was curious as to how others felt about The Road, so I took a look on Amazon and I was surprised at what I found.

Usually the 1 and 2 star reviews are written by semi-literate high schoolers who were forced to read good literature instead of playing Wii all day. This was not the case here. A lot of these reviews were well-written and were clearly posted by people who have a long history of reading. And they all seemed to say the same things that I did. Seriously, go check it out.

Obviously there were a lot of 5-star reviews because it's Cormac McCarthy and even when he sucks people feel they have to stroke his ego. I was, however, very cheered to know that there were many people who felt the way I did. Misery loves company and this book made me wish that I were reading it for a class or a book club so that I would have had someone to complain to.

Also, can we please just admit right now that not every book that Oprah says is great is actually great? I feel like the world would be a much better place if we didn't delude ourselves into thinking that she has impeccable taste in everything. At least, I'd be happier.

-Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment