Thursday, March 24, 2011

Three Books Thursday: #2

Last week I decided to implement Three Books Thursday, which was inspired by the All Things Considered segment Three Books. Every Thursday I'll be posting about three books which fit together in a theme.

Today's theme, in light of all of the depressing books I've been writing about this month, is "Three Books to Make You Laugh at the Insanity of Life."

1) Big Trouble by Dave Barry

Although I wasn't impressed by the film adaptation, columnist Dave Barry's ultra-funny book about crime and nuclear weapons kept me laughing the entire way through. Lots of belly laugh moments as well as some smirk-worthy ones. My advice is to skip the film and just read the book.



Craig Ferguson of The Drew Carey Show and late night fame wrote a book. And it's an amazing book. And it's an equal-opportunities offender. This funny and irreverent book is about television and evangelicals and road trips and love. It's about sex and religion and the crazy things that make us human. Highly recommended.


3) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Catch-22 seems to get a bad reputation and I'm not sure why. I read this book over the summer and I found it to be a hilarious and horrific take on military bureaucracy. Never once was I bored and I truly believe that the chapter about Major Major Major is one of the funniest things ever written. Those of you who are M*A*S*H fans can, like me, gain even more enjoyment from Heller's book by picturing these characters as Hawkeye, Radar, and the rest of the 4077th gang. Don't believe what you hear about Catch-22; give it a chance and I'm sure many of you will actually love it.


Anyone else read any of these books? Post your thoughts in the comments.

-Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment