Thursday, March 24, 2011

I'll Go Stand in the Corner and Think About What I've Done

I was bad today. I bought books. Three of them. One new. Hardcover, in fact. I didn't mean to.

Okay, that's a lie. I meant to get two books and not spend over twenty dollars. I've been a Neil Gaiman fan for years but there are still some of his books that I don't own, especially his books of short stories. I've never really been a fan of that genre for reasons unfathomable even to me, but rereading Good Omens got me thinking that maybe it was about time I invested in at least one of his two short story collections. So that was book number one: Smoke and Mirrors.

Smoke and Mirrors
by Neil Gaiman













Book number two was also a Neil Gaiman book and a planned purchase. Other than The Wolves in the Wall I've never read any of the children's books that he's written. So, The Graveyard Book was added to the list.

The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman













The third book, however, was completely an impulse buy and I blame NPR's Morning Edition. There I was, driving down the road, minding my own business, heading to the bank to pay my car payment. Then BAM! They start talking about a new book by Ian Rankin, a Scottish author I'd never heard of even though he's apparently a big name in crime fiction. Which is probably why I've never heard of him. I've never had an interest in crime novels; they just weren't my cup of sludgy police station coffee. But this book, The Complaints just sounded so interesting to me that I couldn't pass it up. Besides, I can never say no to a Scottish accent. It's now slated to be one of the fiction books I read next month when I need to take a break from non-fiction.

The Complaints
by Ian Rankin













So now I'm going to go stand against the wall, deny myself dessert, and take away my TV privileges for a month. Oh, wait...I don't watch TV.

-Gabe

3 comments:

  1. Yes.... you are so awful to buy books. Especially by that evil and bad Neil Gaiman. ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I definitely have an addiction. Books are like crack to me. I can't resist them. Even when I think I've rehabilitated myself I relapse again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crack and books...interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete