Monday, May 2, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day Fifteen (prescheduled)

So Many Books, So Little Time is hosting the 30 Day Book Challenge. Each day for 30 days I'll be answering one question about books.

Day Fifteen: A book where you wish you were one of the characters

I had to think about this for a while because a lot of my favorite books have lots of violence, destruction, and mayhem--not really worlds that I'd like to get caught up in (I have a self-preservation complex). Then it came to me: Discworld.

The Discworld sits on the backs of four elephants
which stand on the back of the giant turtle, A'tuin.
Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels have been some of my favorite books since I was in high school. They're funny, exciting, and insightfully satirical. I've read so many of these novels (in fact, I'm running out of books that I haven't read) that I'd probably feel right at home living on the Disc. I already know the characters and the city of Ankh-Morpork. It'd be like visiting with old friends that I've never actually met.

There is, of course, violence, destruction, and mayhem in Discworld but as long as I take a page out of Rincewind's book and run away, I should be okay.

-Gabe

2 comments:

  1. But where on Discworld would you like to live? The place where The Chalk is based on is the next county over from where I live. I'd like to visit Ankh-Morpork but probably not live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably live in Ankh-Morpork because I feel like I know it better than some of the other places. Uberwald would be interesting but I don't know if I could live there.

    ReplyDelete