Monday, May 23, 2011

In Which I Am Feeling Democratic

Good morning, all!

I've been trying to find new ways to "spice up" my blog, such as the new template, and decided that I would try something that I've seen other bloggers do. For the next week, you will all get a chance to vote on one book for me to read next month. These choices all come from that massive list of recommendations that I got last week from some pretty awesome bloggers. There was no favoritism here; I simply chose the books that were available in my library (and I was disappointed to find that many of my first choices weren't there). There are four choices and you can only pick one. Whichever one gets the highest vote wins.

The poll will be up later today on the top right-hand side of my blog. For now, peruse the titles and see which one you like best. All links are to the GoodReads page.

1) The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
2) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3) Field of Blood by Denise Mina
4) Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje

If this goes well, I may end up doing it as a monthly or every-other-month kind of thing.

-Gabe

9 comments:

  1. This is a good idea, and certainly a motivator to stop umming and ahhing over which TBR book in my bookshelf should be next!

    Also, I'm really enjoying your new blog template, I love the background image

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Book Thief my Sophomore year and cried. I have a feeling the crying was due more towards the stress of actually being in a high school and hating it. But who knows. Maybe it actually touch me in some way. I can't wait to see your review. Also, if you're still not satisfied with your blog template, try going to this site: btemplates.com

    That's where I get all of my templates :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayleigh: Thanks, I love it, too. I was really lucky to find it amidst all the pink and ribbon-y stuff that the site offered. :)

    I'm hoping that people will actually vote. I'd hate to find that I'm still left with a choice to make at the end of the month of what to read. Spur me into action, folks. LOL

    Nonners: I've heard good and bad things about The Book Thief but I am determined to eventually read all of the recommendations that were given to me. I'm also determined to add them to my TBR page and I have to stop being so lazy about that. Thanks for the website. The templates you use are so detailed. I'm really liking this one right now but I know that in a month or two I'll be looking for a change. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys rearranging furniture every couple of months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Denise Mina was an author that I suggested but I'm going to vote for the Book Thief. It's definitely one of my favourites. I cried at the end too (in fact I cried twice - probably not the best book to read on Christmas Eve).

    I like your new blog layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that you'd replaced the old birds with a new one! I've fiddled with my template so much I've messed up the mobile version and can't work out how to get it back to a dark background. A friend told me there's a bloodstain for a title - though it looks quite stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot! I just saw your comment on my blog. I can't wait to see the review on The Screwtape Letters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Karen, at least you only cried at the end of The Book Thief, I'm pretty sure I had tears in my eyes the whole way through!! Thank god I do the majority of my reading at night in the safety of my room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen: It seems like so far The Book Thief is winning but there's still some time left for people to vote so I'm not sure what'll come out on top. Eventually I'll be reading all of the books that were recommended to me. It'll just take me a while.

    Ellie: It's still a bird theme, but I like this much better than those translucent nuisances that used to flutter above my header. I didn't realize there was a mobile option for blogs. I may have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Book Thief is one of the best books I have EVER read! Read it NOW!

    Angie

    XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete