Tuesday, May 10, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day Twenty-Three

So Many Books, So Little Time is hosting the 30 Day Book Challenge. Each day for 30 days I'll be answering one question about books.

Day Twenty-Three: Your favorite book by a non-British author

Okay, so this question is obviously geared towards all those lovely people in the UK. As an American, it doesn't really apply to me...and yet it does in a way. I tend to be a huge fan of British literature, whether it's classic or contemporary. I will, however, answer this question as a citizen of the US and not as a wannabe Brit and change non-British to non-American. In fact, I'm just going to exclude British and American authors altogether. That still leaves me with a globe full of books/authors to choose from. And I'm going to pick:


I read Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago when I was in high school and I absolutely loved it. I haven't read it since then but I'm probably going to be rereading it again in the next few months. The story is beautiful, romantic, sad...all the things good Russian literature has in abundance. I haven't seen the film and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I'm all that interested in doing so, so I'm not sure how true to the book the movie is. Whether it is or not, Doctor Zhivago should be required reading. It's really that good.

-Gabe

4 comments:

  1. I really like reading books written outside both the UK and US though sometimes translations can be a bit hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I just kind of pick something and hope for the best. Someday I'm hoping to have more languages under my belt and to be proficient enough in the ones that I already know to feel comfortable reading things in their original tongue, but for now I have to be happy with hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Australian novels, then you won't need to worry about needing an X to English dictionary by your side as you read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know very many Australia authors so if you've got any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete