Saturday, May 7, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day Twenty (prescheduled)

So Many Books, So Little Time is hosting the 30 Day Book Challenge. Each day for 30 days I'll be answering one question about books.

Day Twenty: The saddest or most emotive book you have ever read


I'm not going to say that it's the saddest book ever written, but it's one of the only books that I've read that always makes me cry every time. Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame is such a beautiful story and it ends in such a beautiful way. I won't give away the ending (although, I'll give you a hint: it's nothing like the Disney film), but the last page of that novel always tears me in two emotionally. Quasimodo's love and devotion is so heartbreaking and you come away from the novel seeing him as the only character truly worthy of admiration.

I know it's a daunting read, but I highly recommend this novel. Start off with an abridged copy though, because Hugo's descriptions of Notre Dame cathedral, while beautiful, can put first-time readers off.

-Gabe

2 comments:

  1. Never read the book only saw the movie. On of my saddest was a memoir titled, rewriting the script, i have the review on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sidne: The book is really good. I'd never heard of Rewriting the Script until I saw it on your blog. I'm trying not to add any more books to my TBR pile until I get through the ones that are on there already but it might get added in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete