Thursday, May 19, 2011

In Which My Followers Are Amazing!

Yesterday I had asked my followers for book suggestions in ten different categories: books with Death as a character, books by Scottish authors, books by Irish authors, YA books, historical fiction, Canadian fiction, graphic novels, steampunk, fantasy, and LGBT fiction. And boy, did they deliver beyond my wildest dreams!

I'm imploring you to go and check out/follow their blogs because in addition to being great at giving recommendations, they're also fantastic bloggers.

Anne from The Book Garden:
-Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (Death as a character)
-The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett (historical fiction and Scottish author)

Kayleigh from Nylon Admiral:
-Sandman series by Neil Gaiman (graphic novel)
-The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay (historical fiction)
-The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (historical fiction)
-Four Fires by Bryce Courtenay (historical fiction)

Dorothy A. from The Kindled Scholar:
-I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis (historical fiction)
(NOTE: Dorothy has a giveaway going on right now, so head over here and sign up!)

Sarah from Sarah Reads Too Much:
-In the Woods (and the other Dublin Murder Squad books) by Tana French (Irish author) 


Tobe from Wading Through the Ocean of Life:
-The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (YA fiction) [This book was also recommended to me by my best friend in the whole universe.]
-The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff (YA fiction)
-Fables series by Bill Willingham (graphic novel)
-Watchmen by Alan Moore (graphic novel)
-V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (graphic novel)
-The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen M. Beckett (fantasy)
-The House on Durrow Street by Galen M. Beckett (fantasy)

Karen from Book World in My Head:
-A whole list of Scottish authors
     -Robert Louis Stevenson (I loved Jekyll and Hyde, too, Karen!)
     -Lewis Grassic Gibbons
     -James Hogg
     -Walter Scott
     -Muriel Spark
     -Alexander McCall Smith
     -Alasdair Gray
     -James Kelman
     -A. L. Kennedy
     -Ali Smith
     -Stuart McBride
     -Christopher Brookmyre
     -Val McDermid
     -Denise Mina
-Will Ferguson (Canadian author)
-Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (historical fiction)
-The Preacher series by Garth Ennis (graphic novel and Irish author)
-From Hell by Alan Moore (graphic novel)
-Sin City by Frank Miller
-Kate Atkinson (English author who writes about Scotland)
-Louise Welsh (English author who writes about Scotland)
-John Connolly (Irish author)
-Roddy Doyle (Irish author)
-Colm Toibin (Irish author)
-Eoin Colfer (Irish author)

Ellie from Curiosity Killed the Bookworm:
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Death as a character)
-A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Death as a character) [Ellie, I highly recommend his vampire books. They're hysterical.]
-Linda Gillard (Scottish author)
-Ronan O'Brien (Irish author)
-Phillippa Gregory (historical fiction)
-C.J. Sansom (historical fiction)
-Sarah Waters (historical fiction and LGBT fiction)
-Eutopia by David Nickle (Canadian author)
-Douglas Coupland (Canadian author)
-Thomas Emson (fantasy)
(NOTE: Ellie's also having a giveaway as she just reached 100 followers!)

Hannah from Among Stories:
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (YA and LGBT fiction)
-Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters (YA and LGBT fiction)
-A. Lee Martinez (fantasy)
-The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger (steampunk)
-Cherie Priest (steampunk)
-Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (steampunk)

Jo from Fluidity of Time:
-Death: A Life by George Pendle (Death as a character)
-Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (YA)
-On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (Death as a character and fantasy)

Nonners from Ridiculous Reviews:
-Tahn by L.A. Kelly
-The Doppleganger Chronicles by G.P. Taylor (YA and graphic novel)
-Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons by Ann Rinaldi (historical fiction) [I get the feeling I've read this.]
-Stamp of Glory by Tim Stafford (historical fiction)
-DragonSpell by Donita K. Paul (fantasy and YA)

Also, today I found this review on Loni's blog, The Eye of Loni's Storm, which gave me yet another book by a Canadian author, In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje.

So, thank you all; you are the coolest people on the face of the planet!

I have one more favor to ask of anyone reading this and that's to help out that best friend in the entire universe that I mentioned earlier. She just landed a kick-ass internship at a law firm and she's started a blog to get the word out about them. She's such a good, kind person who has helped me out a lot since we first met six years ago and I feel it's my duty to help her find followers. You can also "like" the law firm on Facebook.

-Gabe

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this list together! You got a pretty impressive response. I'm using it to add some books to my TR list as well. I appreciate the shoutout and the note about my giveaway!

    I will definitely check out your friend's new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, on both accounts.

    I'm guessing that a lot of people are finding books for their TBR today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out. I will check out your friends blog.

    I have copied out that list of books.

    ReplyDelete