Saturday, June 11, 2011

Book Blogger Hop!













This week's Book Blogger Hop (which is usually hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books) is being hosted by Lori at Lori's Reading Corner. Head over there to hop on board.

This week's question: Who is the the one author that you are dying to meet?

My answer: There are a lot of authors that I would love to meet in person, chief among them are Neil Gaiman and Deanna Raybourn, although there are others who make the list. There is one author, however, that I would love to meet who may not be around for much longer and it is this author that I'm choosing this week.


Sir Terry Pratchett has been one of my favorite writers since I was in high school. I've read nearly the entire Discworld series and am sort of holding off on reading the ones that I haven't yet simply because I'm not looking forward to the day when I can say that I've finished the series. A few years ago I was devastated to hear that Pratchett had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, not only because I feared it meant the end of his illustrious writing career, but also because over the years he has become one of my writing heroes. Funny, imaginative, satirical, touching, prescient--as a writer, Pratchett is everything that I would like to be someday.

His strength and bravery have touched me more than I could ever possibly say. Although someone is currently typing for him, Pratchett has continued to write even as the disease ravages him. Lately, he has become an advocate for assisted suicide and a person's write to choose death over suffering. Rather than seeing this as a dismal thing, I support him in what may be his eventual final decision. While I will mourn his passing when it comes, I truly believe that he should be allowed to choose his end rather than waiting around in pain and grief for the blackness to finally claim him.

That having been said, I wish with every fiber of my being that I could meet him once before his death. I would tell him that he has been an inspiration and that his books have gotten me through some of the most difficult parts of my life. His particular brand of humor and way of looking at the world have resonated with me in ways that no other author has. I would thank him from the bottom of my heart for being a voice of sanity in an insane world. And then I would simply shake his hand and walk away before I burst into decidedly unmanly tears. The world is a better place with Pratchett in it, but, even when he eventually passes from it, the legacy he will leave behind will, I hope, bring joy and wonder to future generations of eager readers.

There are a lot of people out there who love you and stand behind you, Terry, no matter what you decide. I think that I speak for all of them when I simply say "thank you."

-Gabe

1 comment:

  1. It WOULD be too cool to meet Sir Terry Pratchett. Liked reading this post. :)

    ReplyDelete