Saturday, June 18, 2011

Read-a-Thon Report #2

And that's it. The Spring into Summer Read-a-Thon is over. In the last two days I've managed to read two and a half books--The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, and half of Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. My original goal had been four books, but I'd say that what I got through was impressive considering that I took a few breaks and slept for a decent amount of time. I'll probably finish the Lewis book tonight before I go to bed, which means that tomorrow morning I can start on my reread of Anthony Burgess' insanely amazing novel, A Clockwork Orange. 


Here's my final report for the Read-a-Thon:

First of all, give us an end-of-read-a-thon status update. Books read, pages read, you know the drill!
-Total Books Read: 2.5
-Total Pages Read: 767
-Books Read Since Last Update: 0
-Pages Read Since Last Update: 45
-Total Read Time: 21 hours 15 minutes
-How I'm Currently Feeling: Accomplished, if not a little disappointed that I didn't meet my goal.

What is your favorite book you read during the read-a-thon?

I can't really pick a favorite. I've really enjoyed all of the books that I've read and for very different reasons. Twain, Gaiman, and Lewis are such divergent writers that it's really hard to compare them, even when trying to pick a "favorite" book.

Did you participate in any mini-challenges? Which ones?

I ended up participating in all of the mini-challenges.

Which mini-challenge was your favorite?
In addition to the wordle and the 100-word short story, I really liked the one about choosing a book that should be read in school.


What has been your favorite thing about the read-a-thon?

Everything. It was nice to just focus on reading for an entire weekend, especially since I haven't been reading much at all this month. I feel like I've partly made up for my distinct lack of reviews the last few weeks because there are at least three (if not more) guaranteed for this coming week.

Are you satisfied with how much reading you got done? Did you do more than you expected? Less?

I'm surprised that I didn't read more, since I tend to be a fast reader, but I took time to do the updates/challenges as well as took a few breaks, so I wasn't reading every minute of every day and it's to be expected that I wouldn't get as much reading done as I thought I would. I'm happy that I was able to get two and a half books read.

What did you think of the updates? Too close together? Didn't like the time limit? 

I thought that the updates were well-spaced. I liked having an excuse to take a break every two hours, even if it was just for ten minutes.

If you could change one thing about the read-a-thon, what would it be?

I don't think I would have changed anything about how it was run. I wish that I had taken more time to go check out other participants' blogs, but that's on my end of things, not on the host's.

Would you participate in another read-a-thon hosted by Squeaky Books? Why or why not? (Again, I won't cry if you say "no")

Absolutely.

Any last comments on the read-a-thon?

Congratulations on such a well-run event, especially with how much you had going on in your life at the time. 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Well done getting through all those books, 2.5 ain't too shabby! Looking forward to the reviews I'm sure will be coming after some well-deserved rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Sounds like you had fun and well done in getting through 2.5 books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great! I didn't make my goal either; I think the next time I participate in a readathon, I will plan it out a bit better! Like you, I really liked the books I chose, though, so it made it a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I purposely chose shorter books (nothing was over 330 pages) and still managed not to get through all of them. Will take a different strategy next time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to take part in the Dewey readathon in October and try and stay up 24 hours. They seem like so much fun when I see others participating but the timing's always been wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to do Dewey in April but I didn't have enough vacation time set aside so I couldn't. I'm definitely planning on doing it in October, though.

    ReplyDelete